In the early part of the
20th century, immigrants from the area of Aamor and Karm
Al-Mohr in Lebanon settled on the South Side of New
Castle. These immigrants were identified by their Maronite
Catholic faith. By 1920, the Lebanese had a
well-established community and family connections.
However, the Maronite
Catholic community lacked a permanent home and a priest.
So, they met informally. to worship, in storerooms on Long
Avenue, Sciota Street and Moravia Street. Their love of
their heritage and faith sustained them until they were
able to buy their first church building, on Howard Way, in
1926. This love and determination carried them through the
Great Depression and they were able to build the current
building in 1935 at 2 West Reynolds Street. In 1967, the
parish continued their growth with the construction of
their beautiful recreational hall on Pearson Street.
Father Hanna Karam, Coming Soon!
Currently the parish
serves more than 100 families with daily and weekend
services. We strive to carry on the faith of our
To meet the founding generation,
To read the entire
history of the Maronite community in New Castle,